Two New Modules: Uploadify and Postale

26 Aug

Two New Modules: Uploadify and Postale

I’m happy to announce the release of two awesome new modules!

Postale

A few months ago I put up a post in the DataObjectManager forum announcing the upcoming release of the Postale module. I have finally had a chance to clean up the code for an official release to the community.

Postale is a private messaging tool for SilverStripe that allows your web application to enjoy messaging functionality similar to Facebook. Users can send messages to one or many users, create threads, and receive notifications of new messages. Postale was originally created as part of the specifications for Xetic.org, a social networking and microlending site I developed in SilverStripe for a European organization. Realizing its potential, I spent the last few months making it modular and environment agnostic.

There is some good documentation available, and I encourage you to give it a try.

Uploadify

Many of you who frequent the forums may have heard murmurings from me about discontinuing the SWFUpload module in favor of “something new.” The something new has arrived, and it’s called Uploadify.

Uploadify is a new alternative to Flash-based uploading in SilverStripe. It is far more extensible and much easier to integrate than SWFUpload in CMS and front-end forms alike. It will soon be integrated in to FileDataObjectManager to replace SWFUploadField, and it will seamlessly replace a FileIFrameField or ImageField. Advantages to using Uploadify include:

• It is a jQuery based plugin (much more stable and extensible)
  • It is a normalized FormField subclass (it validates, saves state, saves into DataObjects)
  • It supports Amazon S3 integration (remote file storage)
  • It allows upload folder selection
  • It will authenticate if it can, but will fall back on a public upload controller if not
  • It’s a Flash-based upload component (file type filtering, bulk uploading, file upload progress)

For all these reasons and more, I encourage you to check out the Uploadify module!

14 Responses to “Two New Modules: Uploadify and Postale”

1. Will 26. Aug, 2010 at 5:17 pm #

Nice work on Uploadify! Love it a lot more than SWFUpload.

• unclecheese 26. Aug, 2010 at 8:15 pm #

Thanks for the kind words, Will. I’ve been using it on a number of projects, and it’s been great. SWFUpload is an absolute nightmare and an embarrassment, quite frankly, so I’m really hoping this module will put it to its final resting place. :-)

2. Xetic 26. Aug, 2010 at 6:54 pm #

Congrats for this terrific modules !

As Uncle Cheese said, Postale is already implemented on our website : http://www.xetic.org.

Then, if anybody wants to check it in real, just register on our website and ask me or uncle_cheese as a friend so that you can use this private messaging tool ;-)

See you there guys !

Jérémy
    President of Xetic
    French non profit organization

3. John 27. Aug, 2010 at 11:54 am #

Can we simply replace swfupload by deleting its folder and uploading uploadify?
    Please tell me it’s that easy :)

• unclecheese 27. Aug, 2010 at 1:41 pm #

Integrating Uploadify in place of SWFUpload is seamless when using a standalone uploader (FileIFrameField, ImageField) in CMSMain or ModelAdmin. But switching over FileDOM still needs to be done. When that is done, the switch will be transparent. That is, if the Uploadify class is detected, a different upload form will be used.

4. Pipifix 14. Sep, 2010 at 12:07 pm #

What about the image_gallery module? Will the gallery still work after deleting swfupload and using uploadify instead.
    Thanks.

• unclecheese 14. Sep, 2010 at 2:31 pm #

Yup. Provided you’re on the latest versions of DOM and ImageGallery, you should be able to use Uploadify without any changes. I have several installs of ImageGallery that have been upgraded to Uploadify and I haven’t had any issues.

5. streetdaddy 08. Oct, 2010 at 1:28 pm #

Is there any plan to extend S3File to include standard File and Image features like SetWidth, and integrate it with the WYSIWYG Image button?

6. Aaron Brockhurst 09. Oct, 2010 at 2:47 am #

Hey Uncle Cheese

Fantastic, loving it.

Found a small bug though. In IE7 and IE8 (running in compatability mode) you cant choose and existing file. Works perfectly in Firefox.

Steps to reproduce:

Click choose existing
    select location in dropdown
    Expected expand with list of files doesn’t happen

I’ve upgraded the flash on two seperate machines and tested and got the same response.

Hope that helps

• unclecheese 09. Oct, 2010 at 11:20 am #

Thanks for testing. Does anyone have a Windows machine they can use to do some debugging? I’m not sure how I would be able to test this one!

• Aaron Brockhurst 14. Oct, 2010 at 10:34 am #

Hi Uncle Cheese

I took a look and it looks like IE’s not recognising the action when you select a location from the drop down. I’ll ask one of the team if they can spot a reason why in the Ajax

Aaron

• Adrian 11. Nov, 2010 at 8:45 pm #

I’m having similar issues with a client site – has there been any luck in resolving the problem yet?

• unclecheese 11. Nov, 2010 at 8:55 pm #

Yeah, the IE8 bug was fixed today.

7. Artyom 05. Dec, 2010 at 6:40 pm #

You’ve done it again, UC!

One of my primary needs right now is to allow end users of Blog to be able to upload images (and maybe even video clips) from the *front end* blog interface.

The standard (-ish) tinymce that serves as the main front-end editing for Blog entries only allows a URL based image embedding. This is kind of a show stopper for a couple of clients that really doesn’t want their users to have to log in to the CMS, and who (rightly) complain about WP and other blogging platforms allowing direct upload.

What do you think it would it take to allow users to upload images using say, your modules and integrating it with the tinyMCE that appears in the Blog interface?

thanks again for all the great work : -)

-Artyom