I’m happy to announce the release of two awesome new modules!
A few months ago I put up a post in the DataObjectManager forum announcing the upcoming release of the Postale module. I have finally had a chance to clean up the code for an official release to the community.
Postale is a private messaging tool for SilverStripe that allows your web application to enjoy messaging functionality similar to Facebook. Users can send messages to one or many users, create threads, and receive notifications of new messages. Postale was originally created as part of the specifications for Xetic.org, a social networking and microlending site I developed in SilverStripe for a European organization. Realizing its potential, I spent the last few months making it modular and environment agnostic.
There is some good documentation available, and I encourage you to give it a try.
Many of you who frequent the forums may have heard murmurings from me about discontinuing the SWFUpload module in favor of “something new.” The something new has arrived, and it’s called Uploadify.
Uploadify is a new alternative to Flash-based uploading in SilverStripe. It is far more extensible and much easier to integrate than SWFUpload in CMS and front-end forms alike. It will soon be integrated in to FileDataObjectManager to replace SWFUploadField, and it will seamlessly replace a FileIFrameField or ImageField. Advantages to using Uploadify include:
- It is a jQuery based plugin (much more stable and extensible)
- It is a normalized FormField subclass (it validates, saves state, saves into DataObjects)
- It supports Amazon S3 integration (remote file storage)
- It allows upload folder selection
- It will authenticate if it can, but will fall back on a public upload controller if not
- It’s a Flash-based upload component (file type filtering, bulk uploading, file upload progress)
For all these reasons and more, I encourage you to check out the Uploadify module!